Gay is a social identity and is generally the preferred
First, it was pursued by epidemiologists seeking behavioral categories that would offer better analytical concepts for the study of disease-risk than identity-based categories such as "gay", " bisexual ", or "straight" , because a man who self-identifies as gay or bisexual is not necessarily sexually active with men, and someone who identifies as straight might be sexually active with men.
Similarly, Fred Gilbert and G. Archived from the original on 15 March Retrieved 5 October
You don t have to BE gay to enjoy this
- Gay man or lesbian are the preferred nouns for referring to people, which stress cultural and social matters over sex.
- Although some early writers used the adjective homosexual to refer to any single-gender context such as an all-girls school , [ citation needed ] today the term implies a sexual aspect.
- Look up sodomite in Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Language and Gender 2 ed.
- The modern association with homosexuality can be found as early as AD 96 in the writings of the Jewish historian Josephus.
- The choice of terms regarding sexual orientation may imply a certain political outlook, and different terms have been preferred at different times and in different places.
In a particular example of how this process of language community formation happens in a specific LGBTQ community, transgender people and transvestites may use vocabulary that includes members and excludes non-members to establish social identity and solidarity and to exclude outsiders. Retrieved July 30, Shared ways of speaking can be used to create a single, cohesive identity that in turn help organize political struggle.
Traditionally it was believed that one's way of speaking is a result of one's identity, but the postmodernist approach reversed this theory to suggest that the way we talk is a part of identity formation, specifically suggesting that gender identity is variable and not fixed.